Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Skip Eating Out - At Least During the First Few Weeks

In the first week of the IP protocol, and every week after, be prepared to hit the brick wall of restriction. This diet is more about what you can't have than what you can. You say goodbye to fruit, grains, and legumes. There are no more carrot sticks, potatoes, or yams. Motivation is high the first week, I kept reminding myself "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." The saying works fine at home where you have control over your food choices. If you're feeling adventurous during that first week, try going out to eat one evening and order from the regular menu.

My experience was disastrous. I'll have the...but can I have...on the side. Oh wait, can I substitute....Pretty soon you'll have the most patient server either in tears or rolling their eyes while you try to figure out what to have with all of your dietary restrictions. If you think you can order a salad, take a second look at the ingredient list. That southwest chicken cob isn't going to work like you thought when you remove the cheese, bacon, corn, carrots, tomato, and dressing. You'll be left with a plate of plain greens topped with a few bits of cold, grilled chicken.


Now that I'm more familiar with the protocol, I've changed my eating-out behaviors to ask the server what steamed vegetables the restaurant might be serving when they're taking the drink order. I'll also quickly scan all of the entrees to determine what lean protein choices may be available. Once that is complete, I'll order off-menu from the choices. At the Skillet Diner on Cap Hill, I've become known for ordering the Roasted Cauli from the breakfast menu, the grilled asparagus from the dinner menu, and the salisbury steak from the lunch menu (sans gravy). So far, they've not complained and its been 100% IP approved. The only drawback, price. When you order off-menu, be prepared. Your entree is going to cost extra. Luckily, since you won't be ordering wine or other adult beverages, you won't be feeling the pinch when the bill hits the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment