Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Making The Grade - What are "select" vegetables?

On Phase One of Ideal Protein (IP) I have to consume two cups of "select" veggies twice a day, once for lunch and again at dinner. For the most part, I've not had a hard time determining which veggies I like and those I do not. For me, its been a rotation of English cucumbers, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, green onion, broccoli, and cauliflower. Occasionally, I'll add asparagus depending on the price at QFC or Safeway.

At lunch, my vegetables are consumed raw with salt and a little pepper. For dinner, I've become a huge fan of stir-fry. Heat 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil on medium high. Saute 1-2 tsp. diced garlic in the oil til just wilted, then add your 2 cups of vegetables, stir frequently until just cooked through. I like bite to my cauliflower and broccoli, so I take care not to overcook them. A minute or two before everything is warmed through, I'll add 1-2 tbsp of soy sauce, tossing the vegetables and then covering the pan with a lid so that the steam doesn't escape.

On IP, there are other vegetables that make the grade but I've not found a good use for or are too expensive to consider when making my meal choices. They are: Algae, Alfalfa, Arugula, Bean Sprouts, Cabbage, Celeriac, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Endive, Fennel, Green Bell Peppers, Kale, Kohrabi, Leeks, Okra, Onion (raw), hot peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, and Watercress.

Occasional (no more than 2x week), less "select" veggies include: Brussels Sprouts, Green Beans, Eggplant, Palm Hearts, Rutabaga, Snow Peas, Swede, and Tomato.

Not permitted: Artichoke, Avocado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Parsnips, Peas, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Squash,and Yams.

Unfortunately there is no fruit on the IP plan, don't even think about biting into a crisp apple or having a taste of a warm, field-ripened strawberry. From what I've read, there are several reasons for this but I'll hit that topic another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment