Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Phase 1 - Eating the IP Way

For those of you unfamiliar with Ideal Protein, its a diet that consists of four phases. Each phase is defined by the menu you eat from from phase one, restrictive to phase four, unrestricted. The goal of every IP dieter is to graduate to phase four having learned how to eat, what to eat, and when to eat. Currently, I've been working on phase one and am hoping to progress to phase two. A day in the life of a phase one dieter looks like this:

Drink 8-16 oz water

Breakfast - One IP Packet, 1 cup of coffee, 1 tsp nonfat milk, stevia sweetener to taste
Supplements - 1 multivitamin, 2 Cal-Mags

Drink 8-16 oz water

Lunch - One IP Packet, 2 cups of "select" veggies, unlimited lettuce, 1/2 tsp Redmond Sea Salt

Drink 8-16 oz water

Snack - One IP Packet

Drink 8-16 oz water

Dinner - 6-8 oz lean protein (cooked weight), 2 cups of "select" veggies, unlimited lettuce
Supplements - 1 multivitamin, 2 Cal-Mags, 1 Potassium

Drink 8-16 oz water

Over the course of the day, you'll be drinking nearly a gallon of water. If your bladder is like mine, you're going to have to pee. I've begun planning my day around where the cleanest restrooms are located and they have to be in a location where I can easily find them in 45 minute increments. This is one of those things about IP that I seriously dislike. I've had to warn my colleagues that if a meeting is going to stretch beyond 60 minutes, that I'll be politely excusing myself midway. Most laugh this off until they see me dancing in my seat while simultaneously becoming more and more agitated.

When I confronted my coach on this, I was told the body when burning fat converts that fat to several water soluble components that are discarded when urinating. Go figure! On IP, I'm literally melting from the inside out. For folks that haven't seen me in a while (ie, pre-fat days) I tell them someone dumped a bucket of water over me and I'm literally melting.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I've been reading your blog and referring to the great IP comparisons you've provided. I've decided to try to follow the "IP" diet without actually joining and shelling out the cash. I already belong to WW and weigh in every week. It's been a very slow journey for me, mostly because I struggle with sugar highs and lows, working shift work as an RN means I'm working the graveyard shift and craving junk at 3am. I am also a busy mum of 3 boys. So I've taken your advice and bought the Premier Chocolate Shakes from Costco, bought the multivits and Detour Bars (they seemed to be unrestricted). I stocked up on veggies and protein and ready to see some movement on the scale. I know this will be hard given my circumstances, my crazy schedule, but with the amount of info available on your blog and online, I believe I'll be able to adapt. Thank you and take care. Donna

    ReplyDelete