Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Difference a Year Makes

I was doing a little clean-up in my iPhoto library and ran across a couple of pictures that made me realize how much weight I'd lost since starting the IP protocol. The first was taken June 18, 2010 during Pride weekend. I weighed in at nearly 217 pounds. You can see that I fill out the shirt in SO many ways. The second was taken June 1, 2011 when I weighed in at 175 pounds. The weight loss didn't happen gradually, instead 90% of it happened in the last six weeks after beginning the protocol on May 1, 2011.

I'm glad I ran into these two photos today. I had a poor weigh-in on Friday morning. I'd cheated throughout the week, having chocolate, popcorn, nuts, and dried fruits (all relatively healthy snacks) and gained 3 pounds. I've been beating myself up for the last two days over it, even after my coach suggested that I let it go.

The weight gain was a result of having replenished my glycogen stores using the few carbs that I'd given myself after eating those "healthy" snacks in addition to the IP meals. Glycogen binds itself to water molecules and is stored throughout your body to give fuel to your cells. What I hadn't realized was how little it takes to through off the balance between ketosis and carb-burning. Looking at the quantities, I'd probably eaten two-cups of popped corn, a cup of trail mix (over two days), and several squares of the darkest chocolate.

If on the diet you feel like having a cheat day, don't do it! Its far better to eat a little more protein, have another IP shake or eat deli-sliced lunchmeats than to have a few carbs. I'm in the middle of returning to ketosis after two days of intense carb cravings. I've got the tell-tale "tin-mouth" and non-stop craving for a dough-nut which signaled the start of the IP journey a month ago. Its not fun having to start over, but I'm hoping the scale will be much kinder to me next Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I'm glad that I've got through your blog, because I've found out some useful things regarding the Ideal Protein diet program, which seems really useful. It's exactly what I need in order to lose all of my extra pounds and I'm sure that I will have my desired results, especially that I've read so many great reviews about this weight loss program. Thank you so much for writing about your experience and keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete