Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

IP Shakes vs. The Competition

I've been comparison shopping. In my previous post, I shared how the IP protocol is a bit more expensive than advertised at the clinic or in print materials you may have found online. Several different news agencies have reported on the true cost of competing diet plans. They're worth viewing.

One of the components of IP is the chocolate drink powder or ready-made. Its one of my favorite meals, blended with a cup of ice and a Starbucks Via packet. It gets me through most stressful morning commutes and leaves me feeling satisfied until lunch time. At $4 for the packet and another $1 for the Via packet, I began wondering how I could be a bit more frugal and still find the nutritionally equivalent meal. Going to the grocery stores proved to be a futile effort. I checked with Safeway, QFC, and Trader Joe's and found little that would suffice as a replacement to IP. When I hit Costco, I found that they had two options for the ready-made. The first was Muscle Milk Lite in chocolate and the second, Premiere Nutrition's Chocolate Protein Shake. Further research online lead me to EAS's Myoplex Ready-Made and Powders. Worldwide Nutrition also sells several protein drinks at The Vitamin Shoppe and GNC stores.

You can view the side by side comparisons by viewing the spreadsheet I've begun editing. I can't verify the quality or quantity of the proteins; I'll have to do that in a future post.

A few times per week, I trade out the IP powder with the Premiere Nutrition shake from Costco. For about $2.50 (half the cost of the IP/Starbucks combo) I get an extra 40 calories and 15 grams of protein. I'm more satisfied and I can last a little bit longer between meals.

As an aside, my kids have tried the PN shakes and they think they taste like chocolate chip cookies. We've even started using the shakes in place of milk in breakfast cereals. As a parent, I'm happy fortifying their breakfast cereals with an additional 15 grams of protein for only 80 calories. It makes feeding them Cocoa Crispies a little more reasonable.

5 comments:

  1. I have no idea how old this post is but I want to say I big giant thanks for including a link to the product comparisions. As a new IP client who is questioning whether this is affordable, this is a big help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks!! How do the Myoplex bars compare to the IP bars and what is comparable to IP's soups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this information; I have been trying to find a less expensive way to lose weight using the same concept of IP. I have been substituting GNC Lean Shakes, which I find are the closest to the IP shakes. The GNC packets come 52g per serving and the IP shakes only 33g per serving. After doing the math, when I compared both at 33g per serving, GNC Lean Shake is very close to IP.
    My findings: GNC cost is $1.27, 1 gram less sugar, less sodium and potassium. On the negative side, there are only 16 grams protein, vs 18 in IP. 2 more carbs than IP, however, GNC has 3 grams of soluble fiber, which basically washes those extra carbs away.
    I would love to add my finding to your spreadsheet; I have requested permission to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are still losing the weight trading out the drinks from UP to premiere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you just have to be cautious, the Premiere Protein shakes are nearly double the caloric/protein intake of the Ideal Protein. I managed that by either only drinking 2/3 and saving 1/3 for a snack later or using the extra in coffee as creamer, etc.

      Delete